The BFG (2016)

Now playing in theatersNews. Reviews, Trailers lets talk about everything in the film & TV world.

The BFG (2016)

Postby chouette » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:49 pm

This seems to be an interesting movie so I will want to see when it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray. After all, it’s a Steven Spielberg movie! It’s presently at the movie theater and a DVD release date is estimated for October 2016.

The BFG (2016)

The giants near where Sophie lives are feared because one of their habits is to eat little boys and girls. The villagers do what they can to shield their children from the giants, but there is often nothing they can do when the powerful giants are hungry. One day, Sophie finds herself face to face with a giant that does not want to eat little children. Because he won't eat children, this giant has become an outcast. Sophie wonders if this big friendly giant can be the key to stopping the carnage that has claimed so many young lives in her village.

Genre – Adventure, Family, Fantasy
Starring – Mark Rylance, Ruby Barnhill, Penelope Wilton, Rebecca Hall
Director – Steven Spielberg
Writers – Melissa Mathison (screenplay), Roald Dahl (based on the book by)

Covers in the Gallery for this title:

The_BFG-440x250.png
The_BFG-440x250.png (176.23 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
chouette
Buccaneer
Topics: 166
CoverArt: 11
Resources: 5

The following user would like to thank chouette for this post
BajeeZa, ctaulbee

Re: The BFG (2016)

Postby ctaulbee » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:10 pm

I can't imagine this being too terrible, likely will be worth at least a single view me thinks :)

Awards Showing Recent Awards for ctaulbeeView Showcase

ctaulbee
Webmaster
Awards: 7
Topics: 291
CoverArt: 15
Resources: 484

Postby Fogdude » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:53 pm

This one always reminds me of what we used to call B-52s in the USAF... BUFFs. That was for Big Ugly Fat F----r. Of course, when a story was run on them, in the Air Force Times, they explained it away as standing for Big Ugly Fat Fellow. It always amuses me how the studios dared to put out a title like this, knowing full well how it would be interpreted, but continually using other phrases to explain it.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam
Topics: 23
Resources: 57
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the guy under the desk, looking up...

Postby chouette » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:04 am

Fogdude wrote:This one always reminds me of what we used to call B-52s in the USAF... BUFFs. That was for Big Ugly Fat F----r. Of course, when a story was run on them, in the Air Force Times, they explained it away as standing for Big Ugly Fat Fellow. It always amuses me how the studios dared to put out a title like this, knowing full well how it would be interpreted, but continually using other phrases to explain it.

That's interesting Fog, now what about BFG? What does that mean? I already asked my best buddy Google awhile ago when CT made the cover. That's right, I didn't know lol, but can someone tell it here without cheating? Don't forget, someone is always watching if you are...

:O :LOL

The race is on as I know a few that won't need my buddy Google! :P
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby Fogdude » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:19 am

I don't know anything secret, I just always read it as Big F-ing Giant, when I see it. What else would anyone assume?
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam

Postby VincentLupo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:33 pm

My kids are excited for this one.
VincentLupo
Panda Administrator
Topics: 115
CoverArt: 199

Postby chouette » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:11 am

Fogdude wrote:I don't know anything secret, I just always read it as Big F-ing Giant, when I see it. What else would anyone assume?

According to Wiki, it's "Big Friendly Giant", so you're kind of close... but with a not so clean version... :LOL
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby ctaulbee » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:14 pm

Well a little off-topic here, my little history/trivia lesson for the day, if anyone here is old enough to have played the original 3D interactive game, the one that started all the first person shooters, Doom (1993) from ID Software the home of the brainiacs who invented the core software that could render a game world 3D environment in real-time, before that is was all flat 2D no view port, you know the old Atari, Nintendo type stuff, like the original Mario for example.

Anyway the main weapon in that game, the one that could kill everything in a whole room with one shot was, wait for it...

Spoiler Block
The BFG

"There’s no weapon in the Doom series that’s as beloved and sought after as the Big F***ing Gun, better known as the BFG. The BFG has been a staple of the Doom series ever since the original was released back in 1993, and there’s always been some form of the weapon available in each subsequent game."

Awards Showing Recent Awards for ctaulbeeView Showcase

ctaulbee
Webmaster
Awards: 7
Topics: 291
CoverArt: 15
Resources: 484

Postby chouette » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Oh... well that's kind of interesting. I guess Fog would like that version even better... ;)
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby Fogdude » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:35 pm

I played the early incarnations of Doom a few times. Never did get into it. All video games include hidden, magic tools & weapons & treasures that are hidden for no apparent reason, in illogical places, with keys that make no sense & the only way anyone can really beat them is to find the cheat codes.

I really got hooked on Descent, but even that went off the rails with Descent 3. Same for JetFighter, my all-time favorite game. JetFighter II was phenomenal, but they came out with JetFighter 3 & ruined it. I didn't feel like keeping an old DOS machine around just to play that one game, so I abandoned it, too.

I no longer play video games.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam

Return to Movie Emporium