Submit as "Scanned" or "Custom", that is the question.

Got a question or something to share, then post it here and lets talk about it.

Submit as "Scanned" or "Custom", that is the question.

Postby Lowpro » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:42 pm

I've got some "Night of the Living Dead (1968)" cover art I'd like to upload. Looking for advice on how I should upload it, as "scanned" or "custom".

The first one is shown below. I'm pretty sure this should be uploaded as "scanned", but just want to be sure. In this case I scanned the retail cover art, then broke down the back, spine and front portions judiciously updating each as if I had created the cover art from scratch. This is a common practice I follow as the given physical cover art is rarely cut perfectly where the raw scan is going to comport to the proper image dimensions per the back, spine and front portions. I also replaced a few logos and such, items that didn't scan well. Even so, you'd be hard pressed to know it's not simply a raw scan. So for purposes of uploading this, "scanned" or "custom"? I'm thinking "scanned".

(Preview image shown above. Original image size is 3173x1762.)

This next one I built completely from scratch. I scanned the retail cover art in this case using it as a template. Not a single pixel from the retail scan is shown below. That being said, the below is nearly identical to the retail cover art. It's not a scan, but then again, it's not a custom either. Should I upload this one as "scanned" mentioning in the comments that it's a complete rebuild of the retail cover art or should I upload it as "custom" stating the same basically?

(Preview image shown above. Original image size is 3118x1748.)

In any event, just figured I'd get some feedback before uploading these. I've made these available on different Internet forums in the past as I have my own webspace. Nothing beats being able to host your own images. This is the first time I'll be uploading cover art to a cover art website though. Well, aside from the cover art I uploaded here a day or two ago which was by accident actually. Anyway, just want to be sure I get off on the right foot as they say. Looking forward to getting some feedback on this. Thanks!
Lowpro
Drifter
Topics: 2
CoverArt: 36

The following user would like to thank Lowpro for this post
ctaulbee

Re: Submit as "Scanned" or "Custom", that is the question.

Postby Pip » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:17 pm

A scan is a scan even if you edit it in any way. Upload it as a scan and explain what you have done (modification wise) in the comments.

If there is a problem we will let you know why. We are here to help, not hinder.
Sad Lexa Doig Fan and PROUD of it!

If you like my covers, please leave a comment.

Awards Showing Recent Awards for PipView Showcase

Pip
Administrator
Awards: 2
Topics: 583
CoverArt: 561
Resources: 681

Re: Submit as "Scanned" or "Custom", that is the question.

Postby Lowpro » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:55 pm

Pip wrote:A scan is a scan even if you edit it in any way. Upload it as a scan and explain what you have done (modification wise) in the comments.

If there is a problem we will let you know why. We are here to help, not hinder.

Sounds good. Thanks. Uploaded both covers just now. If I should have done anything differently please let me know. Thanks again.
Lowpro
Drifter
Topics: 2
CoverArt: 36

Return to Design Discussions