Windows 10

Chat area for all to enjoy a bit of friendly banter, share gossip or other chit-chat.

Re: Windows 10

Postby Pip » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:24 am

Well, I've given W10 a good trial but this week re-installed W7. i've given it a good run but just can't get on with it.

The main thing for me is my sound quit working after the Anniversary update (desktop PC) and I spent days trying all the fixes reccomended on various sites (including MS support) and nothing worked. W7 has cured the problem.

It could be that my system is getting on a bit but I'm a firm believer in "if it works, don't try to fix it!".

Strangely enough my "older" laptop works quite happilly with it. I presume it's the difference between AMD based and Intel based systems. IDK.

I'm waiting to see what M/S has up it's sleeve going forward. You can't write off a potential 1 Billion revenue (People not cash) and not have plans for a return on the "give away"!

They've already started with charges on cloud based services, a recent update to Outlook email warns you won't get full functionality if you use an adblocker and you need to pay for ad free Outlook.

I have a vague memory of Hotmail restricting the use of 3rd pary email clients for new users, I avoided it as I was classed as a Legacy user so it didn't affect me. Since I also got a gmail account I just use Hotmail (Outlook) as a back-up.

As to the future I still have a spare HDD with windows 10 on it but if I ever use it again remains to be seen. Once support ends for Win 7 I may go onto a Linux system but have win7 offline for other uses.

Sad Lexa Doig Fan and PROUD of it!

If you like my covers, please leave a comment.

Awards Showing Recent Awards for PipView Showcase

Pip
Administrator
Awards: 2
Topics: 583
CoverArt: 561
Resources: 681

Postby Fogdude » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:10 pm

When WIn10 was announced I started to immediately investigate alternatives. A Mac was out. Apple has been more of a tyrant with their systems than M$ has ever been, until now & they still haven't approached the totalitarianism of Apple. Linux was the obvious next option. I looked into the various flavors & options & found that virtually none of the software I use routinely is even available on Linux, even with WINE. I'm not about to change everything I do & everything I use to do it, so I was stuck with going with the flow.

As to your sound, Pip. A friend had a similar issue, though I doubt it matches yours. He had an external surround system on a laptop. When he upgraded to Win10, he found that in some applications, his system would automatically revert to his onboard speakers & there was no way for him to force the sound back to his external sound system, from that application or in the Windows Control panel. I finally figured out that because he was using the headphone/speaker jack to plug in his sound system, whenever the application looked for the sound output, it overrode the jack & just went back to the onboards. I told him to get a USB adapter for speakers/mic & he did. Using that as his sound device solved the problem. Once he had a separate sound port, not tied to his onboard speakers, his external sound system, once selected as the primary device, stayed that way. A clunky workaround, but it works.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam
Topics: 23
Resources: 57
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the guy under the desk, looking up...

Postby Doc Brown » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:01 pm

One problem I have with W10 it's... i can't play fifa 14. :Oops

Awards Showing Recent Awards for Doc BrownView Showcase

Doc Brown
Voyager
Awards: 4
Topics: 61
CoverArt: 81

Postby Fogdude » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Doc Brown wrote:One problem I have with W10 it's... i can't play fifa 14. :Oops

Fogdude
Yosemite Sam

Postby chouette » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:58 am

Wow that video goes over 5 minutes, mostly on this dude typing what to do? I think CT should show him a thing or 2, lol (Unless it's a joke, as I didn't watch the whole thing).
chouette
Buccaneer
Topics: 166
CoverArt: 11
Resources: 5

Postby Fogdude » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:16 am

Yeah, it's slow & simple. Should have been done in one minute. That's often the case when non-English speakers do things like this.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam

Postby Doc Brown » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks Fogdude ;-)

Awards Showing Recent Awards for Doc BrownView Showcase

Doc Brown
Voyager
Awards: 4
Topics: 61
CoverArt: 81

Postby aLTRe-eGo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:33 am

Best resource to get your W10 info and it's problems with updates.

https://www.askwoody.com/
http://www.infoworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/
aLTRe-eGo
aLTRe-eGo
Topics: 10
CoverArt: 20
Resources: 1

Previous

Return to The Lounge