Frozen - Blu-Ray

Raw ScanUnfinished scans that need to be adjusted and formatted before being added to the gallery.

Frozen - Blu-Ray

Postby chouette » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:26 am

Alright, this is my first scan. I tried to find a blu-ray cover that wasn’t already in the CoverArt Gallery in case it ends up in there (wishful thinking lol). I have left it at 600 DPI as requested. I wasn’t sure what you meant exactly about all scans that must cover an area greater than the cover. I fitted it tight to the border of my scanner and left a little bit on the other two sides. If all 4 sides needs to have a greater area, please give me a few tips as I’m not sure how to proceed with this one.

FYI – My scanner is on top of my Canon printer (MG3500 series). According to the properties, it has an optical resolution of 1200x2400 DPI. It’s probably not the best, but take a look at what is there and let me know. If it’s only to change something, I’ll take a look if I can do it or not. Is it better to scan BMP file or JPG? I did both and the BMP file has quite a larger size than the JPG but they look both identital. I uploaded the JPG file but if you require BMP, I also have this one. So let the fun begin!

Frozen - JPG.rar
(12.78 MiB) Downloaded 237 times
chouette
Buccaneer
Topics: 166
CoverArt: 11
Resources: 5

The following user would like to thank chouette for this post
ctaulbee

Re: Frozen - Blu-Ray

Postby ctaulbee » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:35 am

Frozen - sample.jpg
Frozen - sample.jpg (396.76 KiB) Viewed 10136 times

That's not grain, it's called a moiré pattern (pronounced more-ay).

In a scanned image, Moiré patterns are caused by interference between two sets of fine pattern grids, the scanner samples and the halftone screen in the original image. Any scanner will do this, it's a simple fact of life.

Any image printed on a printing press (like a book, magazine, newspaper, postcard, calendar, etc.) is printed with halftone screen patterns. The printed image is composed of a pattern of dots. A strong magnifying glass will show them. The halftone dots are printed entirely in black if a B&W image, or there are four screens in each of the three primary colors plus black (CMYK) if a Color image. These fine dots cause optical problems in a scanned image because the scanned image is also composed of fine dots.

The two patterns of dots, the printed magazine's 133 or 150 lpi screened pattern, and the 300 or 600 dpi scanner CCD cells, combine into maximums or minimums every several pixels in the image, depending on the spacing of the dots. It affects the overall light intensity in periodic patterns that become very visible.

If your driver or scanning software has a Descreen filter built in then that should be turned on as it will minimize that effect if not well I doubt much can be done to remove it.

Awards Showing Recent Awards for ctaulbeeView Showcase

ctaulbee
Webmaster
Awards: 7
Topics: 291
CoverArt: 15
Resources: 484

Postby chouette » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:06 pm

I have looked to find If my driver or scanning software has a Descreen filter built in but wasn't able to find this for the moment. The only thing that I might be able to change (and probably won't help) is the Brightness, Contrast, Resolution and File type. I will have a better look later when I have more time, but it doesn't look good. It's not a very expensive printer/scanner, so I don't expect miracles out of it... lol

Thanks for all the explanations though, that helps understand better.

:)
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby Pip » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:50 pm

We can get a reasonable re4sult. I'd have to re-do the credits though as they don't come out well.

At 600 dpi

frozen 600.jpg
frozen 600.jpg (181.71 KiB) Viewed 10179 times

and at 300 dpi

frozen.jpg
frozen.jpg (89.55 KiB) Viewed 10153 times
Sad Lexa Doig Fan and PROUD of it!

If you like my covers, please leave a comment.

Awards Showing Recent Awards for PipView Showcase

Pip
Administrator
Awards: 2
Topics: 583
CoverArt: 561
Resources: 681

Postby chouette » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Besides reducing it at 300 dpi, what else can be done and how? That's pretty much as good as it gets for me with my scanner but if I'm able to do something else on my side, then I would love to learn it pretty please...

chouette
Buccaneer

Postby ctaulbee » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:42 pm

You should scan at the max optical resolution of your device, which I think you said was 1200dpi then reduce that to 600dpi and post it, that will be as good as it will get.

Still might not be good enough to really be useful, we will have to see :)

ctaulbee
Webmaster

Postby Fogdude » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:11 pm

On my Epson multi-function WF-2530 printer, the resolution can be set as high as 9600dpi, but if I opt for descreening, it won't let me scan at higher than 600dpi. Doing a scan with decreening at 600dpi produces a smooth (no moiré) but slightly blurry image of 120MB in size. In fact, even without descreening selected, the software couldn't do the scan at anything higher than 1200dpi, claiming I didn't have enough memory (I only have 8GB of RAM). At 1200dpi w/o descreening, there is a distinct moiré pattern & the text isn't really any clearer, but the file is now 500MB. A no win with this scanner.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam
Topics: 23
Resources: 57
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the guy under the desk, looking up...

Postby ctaulbee » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:38 pm

The only dpi that matters is the optical one and I'm sure your scanner can't do 9600dpi optically, the rest is "software enhanced" and highly undesirable not to mention irrelevant to this discussion.

We are really getting off-topic here, this is purely to help Chewy understand "her" situation and not confuse her with things outside that scope.

ctaulbee
Webmaster

Postby Fogdude » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:09 am

My apologies.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam
Topics: 23
Resources: 57
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the guy under the desk, looking up...

Postby Pip » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:33 am

chouette wrote:Besides reducing it at 300 dpi, what else can be done and how? That's pretty much as good as it gets for me with my scanner but if I'm able to do something else on my side, then I would love to learn it pretty please...

Removing moire is a basic 2 step process. First you apply a filter, either a noise Despeckle filter, Gaussian blur or Median filter. Then use the Unsharp Mask.

However don't you worry about that. Let's see what yours is like after an initial scan at 1200dpi, don't forget to reduce it to 600 before uploading. :)
Sad Lexa Doig Fan and PROUD of it!

If you like my covers, please leave a comment.

Awards Showing Recent Awards for PipView Showcase

Pip
Administrator
Awards: 2
Topics: 583
CoverArt: 561
Resources: 681

Postby chouette » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:15 am

Well my fellow friends, it took me forever to get it to work because it would not take the 1200 dpi and I couldn't do much with it because I can't open it with paint. Anyway, 2 hours later lol, here it is in RAR and 1200 dpi. Don't ask me why it took it this time or why I can't open the damn thing in paint. I'm just about to bang my head on the friggin' wall so please tell me you can do magic, please!

:LOL :LOL :LOL

Frozen.rar
(22.96 MiB) Downloaded 223 times
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby ctaulbee » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:17 am

Thank you for your effort Ms. Owl I will take a look at it now :)

ctaulbee
Webmaster

Postby chouette » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:06 am

ctaulbee wrote:Thank you for your effort Ms. Owl I will take a look at it now :)

Well, you're quite welcome lol, just let me know if it's crooked or something since I wasn't able to view it. I probably need to clean crap on my PC and reboot it because it doesn't make sense that Paint won't open a JPG.
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby ctaulbee » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:46 am

It's pretty straight, still has a fair amount of pattern in it having more dots makes it little easier to blend them out, the fine text and tiny details are what suffer, it came out mostly legible I think...

Might be more work than some would be able or willing to do though :)

ctaulbee
Webmaster

Postby chouette » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:29 pm

Wow, I think it turned out pretty nice, but yeah I'm sure you wouldn't want to fix ALL my scans... :LOL

Thank you all for your patience, I appreciated everyone's help on that one. I might not do another scan to be uploaded as I pretty much knew that I didn't have what it took to make it a great scan unless it was reworked, something I probably wouldn't attempt myself. I would much prefer to make covers from scratch with Photoshop than scan them, but that will come in due time, no worries.

But I certainly liked the experience, sorry if it took a lot of your time. I know it took a heck of a lot of time on my part lol, but the main thing is that it wasn't wasted time as I learned quite a bit in the process.

So ok, what did you do CT? Would you want to share your process (in simple words for me please lol)?

:D
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby ctaulbee » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:15 am

chouette wrote:So ok, what did you do CT? Would you want to share your process (in simple words for me please lol)?

You know I would but I really don't think it would help much, it's fairly complex and a large number of steps involved.

The rub is there is no "magic formula" for making scans good, every single one is different from the last and therefore most all require special processing just like images, you have to look at it, see what is wrong, then decide how best to correct it.

If it were possible to just do a set sequence of steps, then I'd just record a Photoshop Action and everyone could just load the file, run the action and be done.

ctaulbee
Webmaster

Postby chouette » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:04 am

ctaulbee wrote:
chouette wrote:So ok, what did you do CT? Would you want to share your process (in simple words for me please lol)?

You know I would but I really don't think it would help much, it's fairly complex and a large number of steps involved.

The rub is there is no "magic formula" for making scans good, every single one is different from the last and therefore most all require special processing just like images, you have to look at it, see what is wrong, then decide how best to correct it.

If it were possible to just do a set sequence of steps, then I'd just record a Photoshop Action and everyone could just load the file, run the action and be done.

Ahhhh ok, well you did good on this one! :) But yeah, that is why I would rather do a custom cover than fix a scan. ;)
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby ctaulbee » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:34 am

It's easier to make customs than "high quality" scans.

You can use a template for a custom which has all the hard stuff already done, the rest is just fill in the blanks.

;)

ctaulbee
Webmaster

Postby chouette » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:11 am

ctaulbee wrote:It's easier to make customs than "high quality" scans.

You can use a template for a custom which has all the hard stuff already done, the rest is just fill in the blanks.

;)

Exactly! Kudos to all the scanners that can accomplish those high quality scans! :)
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby ctaulbee » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:14 am

It's a bit of a art form all it own really :)

ctaulbee
Webmaster

Return to Raw Scans